Wednesday, November 26, 2008

THE TURKEY BOX


OK, here's the tradition. For the past 100 years (give or take) the Thue Family has had a Thanksgiving Tradition called: The Turkey Box. Each year a different person constructs a receptacle that looks like a turkey (sometimes you have to squint your eyes to see it, but it IS a turkey,ok?)

Throughout the week before thanksgiving the Turkey Box is prominently displayed in the home, along with strips of paper and pencils. EACH and EVERY member of the family simply cannot wait to write on the strips of paper all the many things they are thankful for, and leaves them anonymouse. The 'thankfuls' are often funny, or sarcastic, or witty, and many times touching and meaningful. The papers are deposited into the box, and after dinner/before pie on Thanksgiving Day, Dad opens the box and reads the contents aloud. Everyone has fun guessing who wrote what, and it is always entertaining and fun. For the past several years, our family has been scattered at Thanksgiving time...from Saskatchewan to the Dominican Republic, from Arizona to Washington DC, from Nevada to Saratoga Springs; but we never fail to do 'the Turkey Box'. The honorary Turkey Box Creator this year was Sadie, the crafty masterpiece is pictured above.
So calling all Thue Family Members...Thues in DC, Grovers in Manhattan Beach, CA, Phillips in Mesa, AZ...enter your thank-yous here (on this blog). I will print them out and deposit them in said box and they will be read on thursday. I will also list them here on friday, and even tho we are all far apart, we will feel closer, because of "THE TURKEY BOX". Traditions keep our family close and I am thankful for that. Hey...that's a thankful...I'm gonna write that one down.


,

12 comments:

Deborah Thue said...

Spelling correction on myself...the word is anonymous, not 'anonymouse'...I must have been thinking about Carson going to Disneyland. Also, I guess it's not too anonymous if you post here- it automatically puts your name...oh well...

Deborah Thue said...

I am thankful for baby Brinlee Jean and how she snuggles so perfect and pink in the crook of my arm...time just stands still when I am doing that.

Deborah Thue said...

I'm thankful for Disneyland, even though I'm not going there this week.

Deborah Thue said...

I am thankful for 3D glasses (I saw the movie, "Bolt" today)

Brittany said...

Deb! This is so funny. I was looking for your blog so I could tell you about what I did... and you have already posted about it! You will be SO proud of me! I made a turkey box this year in honor of you! I took it to my fiance's house and his whole family did it! We only had it out yesterday but everyone was filling out their cards all day! The box was so dang cute too! I'm trying to upload pictures but for some reason it's not letting post pics today... strange. But check back because there will be pictures of the box!!

paula said...

I was so excited that you had so many comments on this blog. THEY'RE ALL FROM YOURSELF! OK, you do have two that aren't.
I am thankful that I got to share your kids for thanksgiving. It's so fun to have a baby in the house. Carson especially loved "Nape" (nate). xoxo Paula

Matt said...

I'm thankful that my mom knows how to blog. :)

Tara Thue said...

I'm thankful for Christmas in Utah. Can't wait to see everyone soon.

Tara Thue said...

I am thankful that my husband is so super awesome and rad.

Tara Thue said...

I'm also thankful that my husband learned how to leave comments using my login. haha.

Brittany said...

Deb! You're so cute! Don't worry about Tuesday... it's ok :) My email is islandbrit@aol.com and my mom's number is 816-805-6244.. I hope no creeps get that! haha... anyway, I can't wait to see you guys either! It's been so long!

Lorrelle said...

Alright Miss Deb...time to update your blog. Love to see what you guys have been up to...love u lots...